Friday, April 18, 2008

Afrikaner Scapegoat

A new insult word has arisen to disparage Afrikaans people.

Well, perhaps it was there all along. Have you ever referred to someone as a 'farmer' in order to mock or insult them or to put them down? I have heard others doing it, and I started wondering what the origin on such a seemingly arbitrary term is.

Then I remembered a conversation I had with a black work colleague not so long ago. He confided in me that 'boer' or 'boertjie' is a massive insult term used in his community intended to put down Afrikaans people.

What we have now is non-Afrikaans-speaking (as you can see I invented that term) white South Africans (probably motivated by fear of retribution or rejection) distancing themselves from the predominantly Afrikaans predecessors, and insulting the surrounding Afrikaans culture and people.

It's sad how things have turned around in South Africa that it has become commonplace to freely insult one group's language/ethnicity/job, but illegal to do it for anyone else.

The Afrikaner has become the persecuted minority and no-one is speaking out for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment